Author Topic: Low beam lights  (Read 11966 times)

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
Low beam lights
« on: March 11, 2014, 12:53:04 PM »
Okay, I'm driving down the road with my HID driving lights on at night, and spot a car in the distance. I dip my lights, because I don't want him to get flash burns when he comes around the corner or over the rise. He comes into sight, and for my thanks he greets me with flashing his high beams as if for me to turn off my lights all together? My Hilux SR5 has some weight in the back at times, and it doesn't take much for the low beam to "creep up" and blind other people. Also, being a raised 4by it's lights are even harder to sort being higher than most car's bonnets...

I drive a lot at night and often come across utes that have the same problem that I do, and I never flash them.

The camel's back nearly broke the other night when I was flashed by a guy towing a caravan in a 100 series who's rear wheels were reshaping the rear mudguards and the front wheels were practically in the air!

How do people deal with this? Any advice?
Tim
IT and Graphics
2004 TD Hilux SR5 with double bed (aka. fibreglass roof-top tent)

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
Re: Low beam lights
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »
Doesnt arise for me, as low beams are either OEM or legal up-grades, and I keep them properly adjusted.  This has been sufficient for me to avoid the 'flash
 response.
Are HID low beams OEM on your vehicle?
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline cupcake

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 01:03:37 PM »
couple years ago i upgraded the headlights to HID, took them out after couple months due to 'flashing' even when on low beam. put out a great light & vision was awesome but wasnt worth hassle. just kept HID in the spotlights.
2013 Toyota Prado150 3L TD
2011 Trackabout Safari SV

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 01:19:07 PM »
Halogen blue lights, so I guess that they are "brighter". I do a lot of country driving. Also the reflectors in the Toyota Hilux for 2004 doesn't seem to be well designed, it spreads very nicely, but I think that might be part of the problem... they do look good though!

I guess my option is to go for cheap orange lights...
Tim
IT and Graphics

Offline whatsa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 01:33:13 PM »
Yeah I get that too...
even with my standard ones towing.
luckily I have the adjusting ones so I can tweak it down
Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.....

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 01:38:49 PM »
If you are getting oncoming traffic flashing their high beams at you constantly it suggests your lights are posing a hazard to them.
I would start looking at the source of the problem for a solution
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 01:48:59 PM »
If you are getting oncoming traffic flashing their high beams at you constantly it suggests your lights are posing a hazard to them.
I would start looking at the source of the problem for a solution

I'd agree with that, but occasionally when towing (my car has air bags and sits nearly level) I get flashed.  I have the Narva plus120 globes so they are pretty bright, but out of the thousands of on coming cars it has only been a couple of times so I just flash them back to let them know it could have been much worse. The Plus globes are white without being blue like yours.  May be worth a change.

Dave
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 01:52:24 PM »
When I was young I would flash them back and then leave mine on. (juvenile)

Now I just l flash them once and if they don't drop them simply look to the left of the road to keep a bearing until they pass.

Those very bright HID's are pretty bloody annoying on low and it kind of makes sense.  If you fit them so that your lights are 'brighter' then they will be 'brighter' and sometimes more dazzling.

Maybe pay more attention than normal to adjustments.

cheers
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 01:57:51 PM »
No, I am not getting flashing constantly. It's rare for how much night driving I do, but occasional.

What I think I might do is get a mate to see what he reckons I pass him in the dark. I have a feeling it's mostly an adjustment issue.

I personally don't like to blind people, so I'll investigate the problem, and go back to stock globes.
Tim
IT and Graphics

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 03:02:47 PM »
Took the HIDS out of mine, not because I was being flashed but because my reflectors were being damaged. However I adjusted mine when I was flashed and that put a stop to it.
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 03:26:18 PM »
Maybe I am old but I find that after passing a vehicle with blue headlights I find I have difficulty seeing (the road) for a while as opposed to the standard white-yellow lights of old as they seem to have a longer "dazzle" effect (for want of a better word).
I must admit they do annoy me.
I followed this up with a friend who had them in his car (and was adjusted correctly) and they were heaps brighter to oncoming traffic than standard yellow bulbs and did "dazzle" my eyes more.
But then maybe I am just too old.  :o
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 03:30:03 PM »
Maybe I am old but I find that after passing a vehicle with blue headlights I find I have difficulty seeing (the road) for a while as opposed to the standard white-yellow lights of old as they seem to have a longer "dazzle" effect (for want of a better word).
I followed this up with a friend who had them in his car (and was adjusted correctly) and they were heaps brighter to oncoming traffic than standard yellow bulbs and did "dazzle" my eyes more.

Thanks Noel  - you said what I was trying to say.  Cheers
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline noel_w

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcoming Mexicans to SEQ since 2015
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 03:35:29 PM »
Thanks Noel  - you said what I was trying to say.  Cheers
No problem, it's not often people understand what I am saying. :laugh: :laugh:
TUG=GU ST 2012 Ute, CT = Modcon Imperial HF
We have to start thinking about what sort of a world we are going to leave for Keith Richards after we are all gone.

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 03:42:20 PM »

That's a good point, Noel.

The problem with buying bulbs is that you go into the shops to buy them and you get all the "pros" and none of the cons. (which clearly exist) Brands like Narva kinda force you to buy better bulbs like they are a silver bullet, but they don't mention that you will be hated forever after... also, they are recommended for four wheel drives by some groups, which makes it harder. I like decent mods, but not awful ones! I guess I was conned this time. Still learning!
Tim
IT and Graphics

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 04:08:40 PM »
I have also found with the 'brighter' conventional bulbs that they also burn out quicker.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 06:07:15 PM »
Personally I find them a real pain in the a$$ when a car is coming the other way, especially when yuppies don't adjust them properly  >:(

BD
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2014, 06:50:37 PM »
The prado has an adjuster on the dash, which at first I thought was fantastic............

Then I kept getting blinded by knobs who have them set too high.
Guess I shouldn't complain, after all I have learnt by now that "rules" are only for "other" people......

It appears you just do whatever the hell you like as long as no one does it to you, cos then - watch out.............

Damn humans!!!
(Not my swaggers of course, they're all perfect!)
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline chookduck

• Tent User
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2014, 09:01:50 PM »
I thought HIDS are required to be self leveling to avoid dazzling oncoming vehicles.  On new vehicles with HID/Xenon lights self leveling is incorporated - and hence there expense if they are an optional upgrade.

The other thing that gets me going is when people drive around, illegally apparently, with headlights and foglights on during clear weather or during daytime.  Low beam headlights during the day is sufficient.
1994 Landcruiser RV 80 and 2014 Ultimate Xplor, previously a Trak Shak Midway

Offline Renno

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2014, 09:31:11 PM »
Airbags , used to get flashed all the time, annoyed when it was by trucks lit up like Christmas trees and very destracting.
Renno :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 09:33:42 PM by Renno »

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
Travelling a lot in CQ on the long flat roads at night, I used to get this a lot when I dipped my lights early for the same reason, then I started dipping them just slightly later so that they still didn't get flashburn but they could see the difference in high and low.
That really reduced the amount of flickers from oncoming traffic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline Topender

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2014, 09:51:10 PM »
Travelling a lot in CQ on the long flat roads at night, I used to get this a lot when I dipped my lights early for the same reason, then I started dipping them just slightly later so that they still didn't get flashburn but they could see the difference in high and low.
That really reduced the amount of flickers from oncoming traffic.

That there could be the key.  I do that more lately and haven't been flashed (not by a vehicle :angel:) in a long time

Dave
Nissan X-trail TL dci & 2012 Jayco Outback Swan

KingBilly

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2014, 09:52:34 PM »
No law against driving with your headlights on, perfectly legal.  But fog lights are only legal (in Qld) in fog.

Now I commute 150km each day, most often in darkness or semi darkness.  If a vehicle is coming towards me with "bright" lights, without a doubt, and I mean 99% of the time, it will be a tradie ute or somebody towing a trailer.  I just look to the left and try not to focus on their lights.  I learnt long ago not to flash them because they will just flash back and most likely use their oversized spotties as well.

KB

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2014, 10:11:21 PM »
I just look to the left and try not to focus on their lights.  I learnt long ago not to flash them because they will just flash back and most likely use their oversized spotties as well.

KB

Good point up KB,
Forgot that one, my number two rule of thumb, just look down and left.

How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline autoelecau

• Sleeping Bag User
  • Camping with computers
    • Autoelec
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 08:53:50 AM »
Now I commute 150km each day, most often in darkness or semi darkness.  If a vehicle is coming towards me with "bright" lights, without a doubt, and I mean 99% of the time, it will be a tradie ute or somebody towing a trailer.  I just look to the left and try not to focus on their lights.  I learnt long ago not to flash them because they will just flash back and most likely use their oversized spotties as well.

KB

Yes, that's exactly right as far as I'm concerned also. Sometimes I tend to "take a hit" these days when people forget to dip their lights, but also, if the lights are bight, but not super bright, I reckon that it it more likely to be a tradie.

As the story goes with my vehicle, I swapped out the bulbs, and adjusted the lights. As it turns out, I probably didn't have to swap out the bulbs (but I don't much care at this stage) but adjusting the lights was what I believe was desperately required.

I adjusted them "by eye" in the daytime. (I'm used to doing this with the driving lights, as when we work "under the hood" they get pushed out of alignment every time... too much MacDonalds...) I was very generous with "pointing them down". I have adjusted lights using a wall and tape, but I thought that I would do something quicker this time by adjusting in the light (if you have ever done it, you know that light can be a problem) and then actually drive past it myself in the dark. This is better than guessing, I thought.

I got a mate to drive the Hilux to a nice straight and quiet bit of road that night. (we played about for 30 minutes, and no other cars showed up) and got him to "park" in the road while I drove past him in my other car to see myself how bearable the lights were. My vehicles have CB radios in them, so we could chit chat without doing more walking than driving. I didn't check them this way before I adjusted them. I found that driving past them, they were were now more than acceptable, and looked "normal". After that, I pulled up along side the Hilux, and we switched the lights of the car off, and checked the distance of the low beam on the Hilux, and it matched the car's lights. About 20 metres. Then we saw which car hat the better driving lights just for fun as we were side by side. I guess I won seeing as I owned both vehicles  :cheers:

What I really want to point out here that others might find useful is that if you adjust your low beams correctly, you have better high beams. The lights are way more effective on my Hilux now than they were before when they were out of adjustment (they were complete rubbish before). I highly recommend that you adjust your lights properly not only for oncoming traffic, but also you are doing yourself a huge favour by making your high beams much more effective. I couldn't recommend it more.

(Apologies for spelling and grammatical errors if any, this was written very quickly)
Tim
IT and Graphics

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 11:32:13 AM »
Just my 2c worth.

They repealed the section that allowed White coloured Fog lights to be used at the drivers discretion.  Here in Victoria anyway, not sure about the  rest of the country.  They replaced it with one  that reads, "May be used when during adverse weather conditions where visibility is reduced."  May not be accurate copy of wording, but close. 

To my mind, adverse weather conditions, doesn't mean the sun went down and it got dark, or the suns too bright and I need to see because I put my sunglasses on. 

And you have never been allowed to use Yellow fog lights with white headlights.  If you want yellow fog lights on, you must turn off your low beam headlights.  Parkers and tail-lights should be going anyway.  Whether its low beam or yellow fogs that have been chosen.

It's just looking for trouble and gives the boys a reason to stop you and have a chat.
If they've had a really bad day. You could even drive away with a Bill ($255.00) for your Trouble. 
Especially if you arc 'em up.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:39:26 PM by Cruiser 105Tvan »
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.